Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sweets & a Sock Hop... just another busy week!

Last night was Drew's Blue & Gold Banquet and the theme was 50's Sock Hop so we all dressed up... like we all LOVE to to do! I borrowed my friend's poodle skirt and the boys were all "Greaser's", which gave Will an opportunity to wear his "Mut" jacket that we got him for his birthday (Mut is Indiana Jones' son for those of you not familiar...). Drew & Jeff made and decorated a guitar cake to sell at the cake auction, which raises money for scout family camp. We ended up buying back his cake for $80. The boys were SOOO excited that we bought back the cake! It was funny! As if anyone else would ever spend $80 for a cake! (We looked at it as a charitable contribution.)

This was our last activity with Pack 4444, as I made the difficult decision to move Drew into the neighborhood scout troop so that he could start going with his friends from school. We have loved our time with Pack 4444 over the past 18 months so it was really hard to move, but hopefully it will be a good move for our family.

On Thursday our neighbor's Becky & Blake joined Will & I on a tour of the Sweet's Candy Factory with his preschool class. It was so much fun! They made you wear funny hats as they took you through every step in the candy making process, complete with free candy samples along the way. My favorite was trying the jelly beans before they put the hard shell on them... they were covered in powdered sugar and so yummy! My next favorite was trying the peach salt water taffy fresh from the assembly line! It was so soft and chewy! We ended up buying a ton of candy as we left... now our house is full of temptation!
I would highly recommend this tour to any parent out there who is looking for something fun to do with their kids while they're off track... it was free and the kids get candy! How cool is that!?!

3 comments:

Kellybee said...

You guys crack me up! How cute are your costumes? The cake looks like it turned out great! It sounds like your house is filled with all sorts of yummy sweets right now! I'm tempted to come over and steal some. Where is the candy factory at? It sounds really cool.

The Niebuhr's said...

My friend Michelle was telling me she wanted to take the kids to do that. It sounds fun.

Elder Larson said...

Cool cake and costumes! You are so creative!!!! Thanks for the Field Trip! It was sooooo fun!! I LOVE the picture of us! I wear my blue cap every day now!! :0) (NOT)
P.S. The bird feeders are so cool!! Now I just need to plant a tree to hang them up! Thanks again for another fun activity!