Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mardi Gras!

We celebrated Mardi Gras with Kelly & Danny and their boys last night and it was a BLAST! We started the evening by decorating our own masks and then feasted on the best chicken & sausage gumbo and cornbread ever! As we ate, Jeff entertained us by reading a book about Mardi Gras to the boys and teaching them about the holiday. For dessert we had King's Cake, of course!
I baked a baby in the cake and the person who found it in their piece got to be the "King/Queen of the Mardi Gras" and lead the parade!
Fortunately for us all, Jeff found the baby in his cake. He did an amazing job leading us all around the house as we danced to Mardi Gras music. He really played it up and the boys all loved following him around and mimicking his actions! He had us all shakin' our booties on the fireplace at one point! It was great!
Will and I spent the day making the yummy King's Cake. It's not quite the same as the "real" thing, but it's so good, no one seemed to mind that it wasn't authentic.
I am so thankful for my friendship with Kelly and I love that she loves doing these fun little celebrations as much as I do! We make a great party planning pair! We've started some really great traditions together! And to think, it all started with Momschool!


2 comments:

MG said...

I love Mardi Gras since I have lived here in Louisiana, the local school teacher is the one that got me up to date on King Cakes. She asked me to donate one to the 2nd grade class but first she had to explain what we were doing... I bet you cake was a lot better than the ones here. Most are so dry and yucky here, homemade King Cake is much better. That is so cool you guys learn and celebrate all the different times of year.

April said...

I love reading your blog and seeing all the fun things you do with your kids and all the things you teach them about. You are an inspiration!