Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spring Break... It's all about the RED ROCKS!

We journeyed to St. George, Utah for what has thankfully become a Spring Break family tradition for us. We all love it and the boys look forward to it each year as much as their birthday's! It's a short 4 hour drive south, and a pleasant 20 degrees or more warmer, so we get to enjoy the weather and hike all over the beautiful red rocks!
Our first stop was my favorite hiking destination when I lived in Cedar City going to college... Red Cliffs! It's beautiful there and holds so many fun memories for me from my college years, as well as when Jeff and I were courting... we used to go camping there to get away from the hustle and bustle of campus/dorm life. I'm so happy to be able to share this place with my boys. They love climbing around on the red rocks and tip-toeing through the water. Even Max got in on the action!
For Drew and Will though, Red Cliffs was the icing on the cake and a great practice site for the Jedi movie that Drew was planning, rehearsing and preparing to film the following day at what we affectionately call "Red Rock Park" in St. George (I think it's actually called "Pioneer Park", but no one cares the real name... ours works just fine). Jeff and the boys all dressed up like Jedi's and I was the camera woman as we scaled the red rocks acting out scenes from Drew's movie (as soon as I edit it all together and figure out how to put the Star Wars music on it I'll post it on here). It was so much fun and we made quite a spectacle of ourselves... we started to gain an audience from fellow hikers.
Once the movie was filmed, we were free to continue our explorations of all the red rocks. We drove out the the Santa Clara River Reserve to hike up to the Anasazi Petroglyphs. We just love climbing around on the rocks and trying to figure out the stories the Anasazi's were trying to tell us. The boys always gather the hardest rocks they can find to try and create a petroglyph message of their own. It's amazing how long the writings have lasted on the mountainsides.
After the 3.5 mile hike in the 79 degree sun, we decided to rest a little, so we drove into Snow Canyon and played around for a while in the soft red sand dunes. Again, it was SOOO beautiful! And the boys had so much fun! I had a great time just sitting quietly and watching them play and listening to the games they were making up. They are such clever, smart, adorable little boys!
One thing I can't forget to mention is the HOTEL! We always stay at the Holiday Inn because they have an indoor/outdoor pool and a continental breakfast. The boys look forward to playing in the pool almost as much as hiking around the red rocks! This time, we even brought our snorkel gear to practice with in the pool. Drew amazed me with his skills (as usual). But I felt like a pervert snorkeling in a public pool... (it's not quite the same as Cancun where you get to see the pretty fishes... all I saw were butts!)
I just love Spring Break and I loved just hanging out with my boys with no schedule or places to be... I wish I could live on Spring Break!

2 comments:

April said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. We are going there this weekend for our spring break, a family tradition also. We will be camping at Red Cliffs so your pictures made me really excited!

Shane and Geana said...

I love how creative your boys are, I hope they become great producers or writers someday. Your spring break must have been early (?) ours starts tomorrow.