Monday, April 20, 2009

It's training time again! MS150, here we come!

Since Will was 4 months old, we have been spending our Springs training for the MS150 bike ride...
2007 - One of our favorite training rides is from Utah Lake to Vivian Park along the Provo Canyon Parkway.

And now, our training season has officially begun again! We took the boys out for a ride on Sunday from the airport to the marina at the Great Salt Lake. It was a perfect day for a ride and a great first ride of the season! Thirty-two miles round-trip through the airport runways (which the boys thought was totally cool because they got to watch planes take off and land as we rode), a golf course and parallel to I-80 on out past Saltaire to the marina. It was awesome!
This will be my 5th year riding and Jeff's 6th year riding in this 150 mile bike tour through the beautiful Cache Valley. In honor of this, I decided to post some pics from rides in the past. As you can see, we've come a long way!
We started with both boys in the trailer (see above)... it sucked for Jeff, but was fine for me:~) Then we moved on to both boys in bike seats hooked to our bikes... I got Will, he was lighter. Then we invested in a trail-o-bike that hooked on to Jeff's bike, while Will was still in a bike seat with me.
Finally, we bought a tandem bike so that Jeff and I could keep each other company on the ride. We share an iPod and stick together as we ride. It took some getting used to on my part because I have to put all control in Jeff's hands (speed, braking, gear changes, etc.) but overall I like it and we get along just great on it!
Last year Jeff manipulated the tandem so that Drew could ride it with him, while Will has graduated to the trail-o-bike hooked to my bike. It makes for quite a wide turn, but it's fun training with them along... then the ride is so much easier without the extra wiggly weight on back!
Our goal for this year is to complete the entire 150 miles... 75 miles per day. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Kellybee said...

Looks like fun. I love the picture of your boys when they were tiny! Time flies! I'll have to show you the gigantic bruise on my butt from crashing on my bike on sunday. You'll get a good laugh!