Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Recipe for a fabulous 4th of July: Head North!!

I just love the 4th of July! You get to hang out with family & friends, picnic and watch parades... and you don't have to buy anyone a gift! How awesome is that!

This year we hit the traditional Riverton Town Days parade (and for the 1st time in 3 years, Jeff actually got to come with us!), then the boys and I headed up to my cousin's place in Plain City. All my life I've wanted to participate in the festivities in Plain City, but have never had a chance until now. It was awesome! Everything I'd hoped it would be and more!

Friday night we decorated the boys bikes so they could ride in the Children's Parade the next morning, then the kids all set up their sleeping bags with hopes of sleeping outside on the trampoline in my Aunt Julie's backyard (unfortunately they got rained out by midnight.)

Bright and early the next morning, nine cousins dressed in red, white & blue paraded down the street in the Children's parade each in their own special way... (my boys thought it was a race and sped down the route as quickly as they could.)
In this pic is Marley, Jake, Denim, Troy, Dakota, Drew, AJ, Will & Austin (Braxton was at the front of the pack... he too thought it was a race and wanted to be right on the starting line!)
This is what parade watching is supposed to be like... our group of family took up an entire block of space! The boys loved having so many cousins all around them. They all scored tons of candy!
After the parade we all regrouped at the Plain City park for all sorts of games and fun! (I wish I could figure out how to post more than 5 pics because I have lots of fun ones I couldn't fit on here.) The boys each caught a fish with their bare hands in the "Fish Scramble", they competed in a pie eating contest (a total joke seeing as my children are the SLOWEST eaters EVER!), dug for goodies in sawdust, bounced in bounce houses, dunked and got dunked in the dunking booth, had their faces painted, got balloon swords from a clown, watched the ATV Polo match, ate candy, hot dogs and ice cream and had an all around FANTASTIC day!
Seriously! This was the best 4th of July ever! We've had some fun 4ths before, but the combination of fun family members and all sorts of fun activities made this the best one yet! The boys will be planning on going to Plain City for the 4th from now on, I just know it!
Then after the fun died down in Plain City (when everyone else was settling in for afternoon naps), Jeff met back up with us (he'd just gotten off work) and we headed up to his Grandpa Evan's house in Pleasant View, just 15 minutes from Plain City. Jeff's cousin's were visiting from Illinois & Texas and we hadn't seen them in over 10 years! (His cousin Tyler I'd NEVER met and we've been married for 13 years!)
We had a fun visit and the boys met their cousins and before long they all grouped themselves up and began playing as if they'd know each other all their lives. I wish adults played as well as children do. We all just sit around and talk and it never fails that someone feels left out... if we were all kids, we'd just start playing a game together and everyone would feel part of the group!
Anyway, it was so good to see long lost family members and it was a great way to spend the evening. After our visit, Kelly & Dan and their boys joined us down at Weber High School where we all watched the fireworks display. It was a LONG day and we were so ready to head home! Will fell asleep in the car before we'd even gotten down the hill from the high school!
I hope you all had a great 4th of July as well. I just realized that I've officially been blogging for a year now... One of my first entries was about how we spent the 4th last year!
So Happy 4th of July, and Happy blogging! Thanks to all of you who read this, and to those who don't read it, it's your loss:~)

3 comments:

Shane and Geana said...

Yeah!! I was waiting for you to post this. I love to read the way you write on your blog. I also love to see things on there that we also participated in. What a long day we had. We went straight over to Shane's dad's then the BBQ then back to his dad's to watch fireworks. I will be posting soon(?). Love you guys.

Unknown said...

I'm EXHAUSTED after reading this post. Sounds like a major fun day. Obviously, Plain City is the place to be on the 4th!

Stacey said...

Great seeing you guys!!! Sawyer loved playing with the boys and I loved visiting (in person). Hope to see you all way sooner than 10 years this time.