Thursday, July 2, 2009

MS 150 - We did it AGAIN!

Ta da! For the 7th year in a row, Jeff & I rode in the MS 150 Best Dam Bike Tour through beautiful Cache Valley Utah. Though this was our 7th year participating, it was only our 2nd year riding the ENTIRE 150 miles (75 on Saturday/75 on Sunday)! Hooray!!
And this time we each rode our own bikes, saying farewell to the tandem for a while (thank goodness!! We were both really happy about this decision.) I borrowed my neighbor's bike and Jeff borrowed his brother Josh's and we totally kicked butt, riding faster than we ever have before! We averaged 18 mph the first day and 17 mph the second day... not too shabby if we do say so ourselves.
I am particularly proud of two accomplishments I made on this ride:
1) On the first day during the last 3 miles, Jeff was drafting behind me trying to keep up and I was hardly even tired! It was probably the first time in my life that I've been happy to have such large thighs!! I've always had a complex about them, but after seeing what they can do, I was truly thankful for them! This is HUGE for me... I hope everyone who reads this understands the enormity of this statement: I've got legs, and I know how to use them!!
2) I made it to the top of Blacksmith Fork Canyon in great time! True, Jeff got there 4 minutes before me, but I did the entire thing and still had a smile on my face! It was a series of tough climbs and I contemplated turning around and giving up several times, but I am so glad that I didn't give up and that I made it all the way!!
So another MS 150 ride and training season is behind us and I must say this has been the absolute best year yet! I was in great shape after training more than I ever had, I had the best partner to ride with (but thankfully not on the same bike with), we raised $790 to help find a cure for this devastating disease (thank you to everyone who contributed), and we just had the best time ever!
Now I need another goal! I'm thinking a half marathon... the sky is the limit!!

2 comments:

Shane and Geana said...

You two are amazing. That is a huge accomplishment. I think you could do the whole marathon, you put your mind to something and it gets done. BTW I have been meaning to ask you about not freelancing any more, did you quit the West Jordan Journal?

Kellybee said...

Yay! You should be so proud of yourselves! I think how we handle ourselves in sports situations says alot about how we handle life in general...when it gets tough, do you quit or do you keep going? You can do anything! Go for it!