Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hooray for Max!

Last night Max "graduated" from PetSmart's Puppy Education Class! Hooray! It was an 8 week course that was designed to help teach us how to train our puppy to "sit", "down", "stay", "come", "take it", "leave it" and more useful tricks!

Here is Max illustrating his wonderful "sit, stay". He does most tricks very well, as long as we have treats in hand.
Overall, the boys found these training classes very boring (they'd beg not to have to go) but Jeff and I both learned a lot! I just wish they could teach us patience! At the beginning of the course, Will would work the room and play with all the puppies and drive me crazy because he was constantly distracting the dogs and keeping them from being able to train. Once we convinced him to stop doing this, he decided that these classes were the most boring thing's EVER! Hence, my wish that they would have taught me patience (to deal with Max AND my boys!).
Thankfully we made it through and are now the proud owners of an officially trained puppy. This does not mean, however, that he is fully potty trained... oh, no! That is still a work in progress. But at least he's mastered the "sit"! So we'll take what we can get!

6 comments:

Shane and Geana said...

Yeah!! I thought you only wanted to potty train two children, now you have one that seems harder to potty train than a kid. I hope that is never me, I just cant deal with the carpet and urine.

Shane and Geana said...

I also wanted to say Thank you for the wonderful barbeque on Friday. I had such a great time. I dream of a day when I can just stay until I am ready to go home, but for now one of the kids usually dictates when we leave. Also I wanted to tell you how great I think your boys are. They are just the kind of "good" kids that I want mine hanging out with. I wish a little of their problem solving/good choice making skills would rub a little towards Brax. I really do think you are doing a GREAT job turning those boys into responsible, Great kids. Way to go.

Kellybee said...

kelly111
Good for Max. He looks so cute in those pictures. He really is a sweet dog. Hopefully, with persistance, his potty skills will improve. He's too cute to give up on!

Stacey said...

You hadn't mentioned anything about Max in a while so I thought maybe you guys had decided to get rid of him. Glad you stuck it out. My kids want a dog so bad but I don't know. You will have to let me know in a year or so whether it has all been worth it or not.

Lynsie said...

I took our first dog Sydney to those classes and I loved them! I thought they taught me a lot about how to teach the dog, however we haven't kept up. Although she does stay in the living room when its our dinner time and that is awesome!

Contrats Max!! He is so cute!

Lynsie said...

Wendy- the pictures of the books themselves came from google, I just looked up the book title and saved the picture to my computer. The other ones (the ones I put words on) I did scan from my printer.

Good idea on the library. Is it sad I have not been to the library since gradeschool? I know I need to take Jaimen there one day and let him have a hayday.