Saturday, October 3, 2009

It's the Great Pumpkin, Plain City!

We just returned from a "Great Pumpkin" party at my cousin Geana's house in Plain City, Utah and it was such a blast! I am blessed with some of the coolest cousins a person could ever hope for! Geana and I used to do bi-weekly playdates with our kids when they were younger and for one of said playdates we went to a you-pick pumpkin patch here in Riverton. After we left the patch, Geana had the brilliant idea of creating her own you-pick pumpkin patch in her backyard. Well, year's later, her pumpkin patch is thriving and I'm so proud of her ingenuity! She decided she wanted to do something big this year for opening night so as we were all bouncing around ideas together up at our cabin I suggested she show the movie "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" and have someone dress up in my pumpkin costume to give out goodies to the kiddos afterwards. To my surprise, none of my Plain City relatives were very familiar with this Peanuts classic! Still, Geana went with it and made it into such a fun evening for her family and friends.
This is Geana, one of my most favorite people on this earth. I love her like a sister!
And here's us having a great time at the party! We each got to pick and cut our own pumpkin. This is Drew (side note: we'd just watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kidd so he was dressed up like Sundance... but that's a story for a later blog.)

Here's my pumpkin. I chose a GIGANTIC one, but later decided that I probably won't actually carve it, so I got a smaller one too. But seriously, check out how big this thing is!!
Here's Will with his perfect pumpkin. He chose an ideally sized one! He already knows how he's going to carve it. He was telling me about it and then said "I saw the idea in Family Fun magazine." It's so funny how his little phrases sound like echoes of myself talking. Because that's pretty much where I get all my ideas too!
Jeff decided to go for the yellow pumpkin. He always comes up with the most clever ideas when it comes time to carve... it will be interesting what he comes up with for this one. Stay tuned... I'm sure I'll blog about it.
After we picked our pumpkins, we sat around the bonfire and roasted marshmallows for s'mores and then....
Sat back and enjoyed the movie on the lawn. It was perfect weather and the hot cocoa (that was "sipping hot") and donuts were the perfect touch!
After the movie, my cute cousin Kiley (whom I also love like a sister) dressed up as the Great Pumpkin and came bounding out of the pumpkin patch to surprise the kids with goodies. She was so stinkin' cute!!
All the kids rushed up to her for candy.
Then afterward we all took turns posing for photos with her. I just can't say enough how cool I think this whole night turned out to be. Geana is amazing! And Kiley is such a good sport! I love her energy and contagious smile!
Thanks guys for making this such a fun and memorable night for my family and for all the other fortunate folks who came! I love you guys!!

4 comments:

Shane and Geana said...

Thank you so much for coming. I realized later that night that you totally overpaid for the pumpkins. I am sure your other 4 were only $2 and you paid $3. You are so nice, I am sure the boys mission/college fund will appreciate all your support over the years.

I put a link on my blog over to yours so people can see the opening party. I will someday get the pictures from Kiley, but until then yours is way better than I could have done anyway. I hope you dont mind :)

Kiley and Tyler said...

Thanks for that wonderful post. I cant wait to show Tyler. You made me feel so good I could not stop laughing. Love ya too.

Lynsie said...

Looks like fun. I am bummed I missed it. Kiley fits that costume so well, she fits the part of that costume so well :)

Kellybee said...

What a fun night! It looks like Geana and Shane have done an amazing job with the pumpkins! Are my eyes failing or was Drew sporting a mustache? Please...share the "Sundance Kid" story!