Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Family Traditions

Drew's class is learning about family traditions at school and his teacher asked all the kids to fill out a form about one of their own family traditions... We discussed it at dinner and decided that the family tradition we would tell about is our tradition of eating "crap" together in the kitchen.

Here's what we wrote on the form:

My family tradition is eating "crap" (raw chocolate chip cookie dough).

My family tradition was started by my mom and dad.

It began when they were first married in 1996.

This tradition is important to my family because we all get together with our own spoon and a big bowl of cookie dough and just hang out and eat as much "crap" as we want to while we chit-chat about our days. It's a great family time and we all look forward to it! We don't do it for any particular reason; we just do it because it's fun!

Tell anything else that would help your child write a story about the family tradition. What does it look like?
It looks like yummy, gooey chocolate chip cookie dough! (see pic above)

How did it become a tradition?
We just all like raw cookie dough so we decided it would be a fun little free-for-all that we could do together every once in a while... every couple of months, or whenever we feel like it!

Who is involved? Me, my mom, my dad and my brother Will.


That's the end of the questionnaire... Here's what the cookies look like once we've cooked them. If you'd like the recipe, it's on the package of the butter flavored Crisco sticks. We rarely end up with more than 15 cooked cookies because we've eaten all the dough.

I love class projects like these...

6 comments:

Shane and Geana said...

What a great class project. That looks like so much fun. The best traditions seem to be those that don't evolve around the holidays.

Thank you so much for your comment about the school days woes. It really helped, and so did the movie, thanks for the help. If you can believe it we have now mived to crying every day at school because Shane is hunting. Does it ever end?

Kiley and Tyler said...

Tell Jeff he looks very nice with short hair. I loved the tradition.

Wendi said...

He didn't cut his hair, Kiley... he just had it pulled back in a pony-tail... (my least favorite of his do's)

Kellybee said...

I think you need to start including aunt Kelly in on this tradition of yours. LOVE the cookie dough!

Lynsie said...

Those look yummy. I cannot bake a cookie even from a pre-made package :)
No you didn't miss anything, its on Alan's side. We had the memorial service last night and it was harder than I thought. I have been keeping myself busy so I don't think about it. Seeing the pictures and DVD they put together really broke me.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I'm in shock that you eat raw cookie dough with a spoon, but I'm happy to hear it!